The combination of watermelon and feta cheese may sound a little bit unusual, but you need to trust me on this one and try it. It’s the perfect mix of sweet and savory, and it’s going to be your favorite salad this summer.
We’ve had some pretty hot temperatures already here in the Netherlands, and we haven’t even dove into the summer season yet. Luckily, watermelon has already made its appearance in the supermarkets, and I’ve made frequent trips already just for the watermelon, just to make this Watermelon Feta Salad.
This Watermelon Feta Salad is from Yotam Ottolenghi’s Plenty cookbook. It’s a beautiful cookbook filled with many vegetarian recipes and mouth-watering pictures. I read this cookbook from beginning to end, and good thing I did because this Watermelon Feta Salad recipe is the very last recipe in the book. I guess you could say Ottolenghi saved his very best recipe for last.
This is a great salad for a BBQ, picnic, brunch, or actually anytime on a hot summer day. With only five simple ingredients you can prepare this Watermelon Feta Salad in no time all summer long.
Watermelon Feta Salad
A refreshing salad that has the perfect blend of sweet and savory.
- 10 oz feta cheese
- 4-1/2 cups large chunks of watermelon
- 3/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- good quality olive oil
- Step 1 Arrange the watermelon on a large platter (or alternatively on individual plates).
- Step 2 Slice the feta into large but thin pieces, or just break it by hand into rough chunks. Toss on top of watermelon.
- Step 3 Add on the red onions and basil leaves (you can leave the basil leaves whole or sliced).
- Step 4 Drizzle olive oil over the entire platter. Serve immediately.