The French Toast Bake is knock-it-out-of-the-park delicious and it comes out perfectly every time. I am deliberately posting this recipe a few days before Mother’s Day so that
you your kids, husband or partner have NO excuse not to make it for this coming Sunday. The ingredients are combined and baked to perfection in a casserole dish so there is no soaking, no frying, no flipping, and no more soggy bread slices. You just put the casserole dish in the oven and forget about it for about 45 minutes.
This is my NUMBER ONE go-to breakfast meal when I need something AMAZING to feed a crowd the next morning (ie. sleepovers, Christmas morning, vacations). It is also something that doesn’t require waking up super early to prepare because all the preparation for this French Toast Bake can be prepared the night before and baked the next morning. No worries though…whether you prepare it the night before (which I highly recommend as it saves you so much time in the morning) or you bake it right away, they both create the same heavenly outcome.
Seriously, if you want to impress a special mom this Mother’s Day, make this French Toast Bake. You can impress her even further by using up some stale left-over bread. Don’t toss it out. Use it up in this recipe. She will appreciate the cost savings efforts, and the taste will be the same, if not better.
Recipe slightly adapted from The Pioneer Woman.
French Toast Bake
A much easier way to make French Toast. Enjoy it for breakfast or even for dessert. It's good any time of the day.
- 1-1/2 loaf french bread or crusty sourdough
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (slagroom)
- 1/2 cup granualted sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Confectioners'sugar (for serving)
- Step 1 Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan (or equivalent) with butter.
- Step 2 Tear or cut the bread into chunks/cubes, and evenly distribute in the prepared pan. Set aside.
- Step 3 In a large bowl whisk the eggs. Add in milk, heavy cream, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla and whisk to combine. Pour evenly over the bread. Give it a gentle toss so that all the bread pieces are covered with the liquid.
- Step 4 Cover the pan tightly and store in the fridge for an hour before baking. Even better, store in fridge overnight and bake the next morning. Both gives you great results.
- Step 5 In a pre-heated oven of 350 degrees F (176 celsius) bake for about 45 minutes. Baking times vary depending on your oven. I would watch it closely at the 40 minute mark. The top should be a bit golden brown and crispy, the inner will be soft.
- Step 6 Scoop out individual portions and sprinkle confectioners’sugar on top before serving.