Tuna salad made with finely chopped apples is surprisingly sooooo good. I would’ve never thought to add apples to my tuna salad until I tried it for the first time a few years ago at a pastry boutique shop (Saranne in Oisterwijk, the NL) here in my local village.
The apple is the key ingredient to making any tuna salad taste amazing. It adds the right amount of sweetness, the perfect crunch and an overall fresh taste. I could never go back to the ordinary, plain and boring tuna salad (which is any tuna salad that doesn’t include apples!!).
So next time you decide to make tuna salad, liven it up and add in some finely chopped apples. You’ll be surprised too how delicious it can be.
Tuna Salad with Apples
- 3 x 6oz (170g) cans of tuna fish (packed in water), drained
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 apple, preferably Fuji, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup mayo (preferably Hellmann's)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dill pickles (any kind)
- 2 tablespoons pickle juice (or fresh lemon juice)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon of finely chopped dill (optional)
- Step 1 In a medium sized bowl mix all the ingredients together. Make sure you drain as much water out of the tuna cans as possible before adding them to the bowl.
- Step 2 Taste and add salt and pepper to taste. I usually just add 2 pinches of salt and a few grinds of fresh black pepper.
- Step 3 If you like the dill taste, add in the optional fresh chopped dill.
- Step 4 Cover and let it chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours or more.
- Step 5 Serve and enjoy your favorite way (ie. open faced sandwich, a regular sandwich, on top of a bed of lettuce, wraps, with crackers….the options are endless).