With obvious reasons my husband and kids are the first to try any new recipe I make. Most of the time they are willing to try everything, but this time, with the Broccoli Salad with Red Grapes, it took a bit of convincing from my end. I guess you can say I have some non-broccoli lovers at home.
Eventually they all tried it…and liked it! I would be exaggerating if I said they loved it, but for them to like the salad and to actually finish their plates is already a huge milestone. Who knows, maybe they did love it but they just didn’t want to say it out loud. Why? Well because then they know I would probably make this salad every single day thereafter.
I’ve seriously been eating this salad every day for the past week (so yeah…my family’s ‘like’ was good enough for me to go ahead and make this salad every day anyways). On a few occasions I’ve even eaten the entire serving bowl (that’s an ENTIRE head of broccoli) all by myself. It’s really THAT good.
A really delicious salad to please the crowd during the holidays, or simply every day at home all year round.
Broccoli Salad With Red Grapes
A delicious salad made with broccoli covered with a light creamy dressing, sweet red grapes and chopped toasted almonds.
- 1 cup (200grams) mayonnaise
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 LARGE head broccoli (approx. 700-800 grams)
- 1 cup sweet red grapes, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup (45 grams) almonds
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 350F (175 degrees celsius). You will need the oven later to toast the almonds.
- Step 2 MAKE THE DRESSING: In a medium bowl mix in the mayonnaise, chopped red onion, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt and freshly ground black pepper (about 10-15 grinds). Whisk to combine. Set in the refrigerator to cool while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Step 3 Trim the broccoli, clean and chop into thin bite-size pieces. Place in a large bowl.
- Step 4 Wash the grapes and cut each in half. Add it to the bowl of broccoli.
- Step 5 Put a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Spread your almonds and roughly chop with a knife. Place in pre-heated oven and toast almonds for about 5 minutes. Watch and ensure they don’t burn. Take out of oven and cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Step 6 Take the prepared dressing out of refrigerator and pour over the broccoli/grapes. Mix until the broccoli is evenly coated with the dressing. Add in toasted almonds (leave some almonds behind if you want to top your final serving for a nice presentation). Give it a gentle mix.
- Step 7 Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour to allow the flavors to blend., or for up to 2 days (if it lasts that long).
- Step 8 Right before serving top with the reserved toasted almonds, if desired..