Have you ever been to a restaurant only to find yourself wanting to eat just their House Salad? Why are House Salads always a side dish anyway? Why do I get the funny look when I order the House Salad as my main course? (Note to the waiter: I’m not trying to be cheap and I’m not on some really weird diet. I just LOVE your House Salad. There’s nothing else i want to order from your menu.)
This House Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette is one of those salads; the kind of salad you want a second, third, and even a fourth helping of. It’s my ‘go-to’ salad; the salad I always make when I need a side of vegetables with my meals. It comes together in a short 5 minutes with a homemade balsamic and olive oil vinaigrette (so it’s very fresh, simple and straightforward).
A House Salad is not only for restaurants (and certainly not just a side dish) but also something every home should have.
The House Salad with Balsalmic Vinaigrette
A fresh, simple and straightforward salad. A House Salad is not only for restaurants but also something every home should have.
- SALAD INGREDIENTS:
- Mixed greens (approx 200g)
- 1 sweet paprika, thinly sliced
- 1-2 stalks scallion, finely chopped
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional for serving)
- DRESSING INGREDIENTS:
- 2 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 1 tablespoon good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- a few generous grinds of fresh black pepper
- Step 1 Add the salad ingredients in a large serving bowl/platter.
- Step 2 Sprinkle dressing ingredients directly onto the greens.
- Step 3 Gently toss.
- Step 4 Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on top before serving (if using).